Saturday, March 6, 2010

Winning and losing at the races....



.

Good Morning Friends,

.

today is Saturday March 6, 2010

.

I kind of like Saturdays now friends, how about you? There is something particularly soothing about them you know and I think it has something to do with the fact that this is a racing day. Yes, I think that is it most of all. It is a racing day and that is the thing that I like to do best. That's right, just get into my car and drive on out into the sunshine and head out to the track. Actually, we have been particularly well-blessed in these parts the last couple of years because Saturdays have been pretty decent days. There have been a lot of sunny Saturdays - and almost by design when you think about it. You know what I am talking about friends, if you are West Coast resident, that is. I mean, Vancouver is famous for rain as everybody knows and it just seems that the rains take place on the weekends too. Like you are putting in a hard week at work and you are looking forward to the weekend and then it rains. Well, that happens a lot around here and it is very annoying especially on your day off. But, like I said, things have been a bit different in these parts of late. We have been having a lot of very enjoyable - and sunny Saturdays. And, that is a fact.

.

And, you know what? Well, it was even sunny yesterday too. That's right, Friday was a pleasant sunny day as well. And, what do you think I did yesterday? Well, I jumped into the Miata, lowered the top and headed out to the track in the glorious sunshine. Now, you have to understand something here. Fridays at the Meadowlands is not a good thing. And, I know that. But, I just wanted to take a drive in the sunshine and what better place to go than the racetrack? Well, I cannot think of anything better to do personally, whereas maybe you can. Anyway, my harness racing triactor system does not work well at the track on Fridays. And, I have it broken down to the fact that it is the quality of the horses that we are dealing with. So, I knew that once I got to the track I would be mostly watching and monitoring the situation. And, that is exactly what I did. I handicapped the races though, one by one as they were going by. And, I took mental notes and wondered if I should jump in and make a bet. Oh, I was tempted a couple of times, but for the most part I stuck to my guns and I did not make a bet. And, I saved a lot of money by being vigilant let me tell you. Nothing was working that made we want to jump in and start betting feverishly and consistently. I had made the right choice by just being a spectator last night. My experience with that track and on that night paid off. I won by not betting. I was going to keep my powder dry for today. I did make one bet, however, but that was for the road so to speak so it didn't really count. I bet only one race near the end and I would check my ticket when I got home on the computer. And, the win was not to be. I guess I knew it was not going to happen the way things were going I mean. The whole night was a write off as far as winning was concerned.

.

But, a different kind of winning did take place though. A couple of old friends from the past showed up. Now, that was really a lot of fun bumping into a couple of associates from the past let me tell you. And, these were carnival people to boot. So, that was especially exciting. Connecting with friends from the past is an important detail of life friends and I think you guys know that. You are re-establishing your relationships with your past and that is a very powerful thing in my estimation. It was fun cutting up jackpots and talking about other old friends as well. And, you learn about the deaths of others too. People dying from cancer and all manner of things. It is creepy, but it is life and death. That's right friends, this life business is a very precarious thing and I have talked about this detail at length on these very pages. Death comes to us all and sometime without notice. I think that might have been the greatest message of all last night. I was bumping into people who were still alive and they were just as lucky as me. We were beating the odds together and we were all alive. And, some of our comrades are not. I believe these chance meeting to be very valuable things friends and I can assure you that I made my friends know how valuable their meeting was to me. I think we should all live for these kinds of days. You know what I mean, that camaraderie, that feeling that you are experiencing something together and still being able to enjoy life and all that it has to offer. See what I mean friends? There is a heck of a lot more to racing than you might imagine. It is a social event after all and it proved its importance in a very dramatic way yesterday let me tell you. So, I didn't win any money did I? But, I didn't lose either. So, the message for today friends is: today is another racing day at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. Post time is 1600 hrs local time. If you are my friend or acquaintance you know where I will be. And, if you are popping in from out of town and need a ride you know how to contact me. Talk to you all later and I hope you are still alive and kicking, because some of us are not as I have just finished pointing out to you.

.