Saturday, January 30, 2010

Taking stock on a Saturday morning....




.

Good Morning Friends,

.

today is Saturday January 30, 2010

.Well, it is all over but the shouting eh friends? The month, I mean, it is almost over. There is just today and tomorrow left, and then that is the end of the whole thing. Just think. There will never be another January 30 or January 31st 2010 in yours or my lifetime again. It is a one time event and that is that. So, I hope you enjoyed everything while you had a chance.

.

Speaking of enjoying things, today is a racing day once again at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. During the winter friends, this is what we live for. There is nothing else. This is it. Racing. Good old harness racing on a Saturday afternoon. I don't think I ever thought of stuff like this when I was back in high school or even university for that matter. It just never occurred to me that my life would revolve around such an entertainment as harness racing. But, that is what life has come to be for me friends. Well, at least I have something to live for and to keep my spirits up if you know what mean. I guess it is like a passion of sorts. You know, a hobby, something that you really like doing and look forward to. Something to keep your mind occupied and interest in life going. Oh, I suppose some guys are in to their family and their spouses and that kind of thing. Nothing wrong with that of course. I mean, we all need something to give our egos a boost and to make our lives more enjoyable and meaningful. Well, harness racing on a Saturday afternoon does that for me friends, so I hope you have all found something that makes it happen for you as well. So, if you are popping into town you know where I will be at 1600 hours.

.

I was just checking out my stock portfolio and it looks like things are on the downtrend again. You can see my last report here found on the main part of my blog: My Stock Portfolio: December 2009. I never told you guys that it was going to be easy to make money in the stock market and you certainly have to watch what you are doing. Actually, I thought the market was going to go up before it fell again and I was going to skim some of the profits off and put it into cash. Well, you can scrap that idea for now. January, although positive at the beginning, turned out to be quite the failure in the markets and my equity portion of my portfolio has now receded to 37.35% and I am down 1.8% year-to-date. Not the end of the world of course, but it is just not what I was expecting. Although, I think I mentioned that there were some pretty bearish predictions going forward. Like up 9 or 10% up and then down 30% something like that. Well, let that be a lesson to you at any rate. You cannot time the market. I have to keep on telling you that - because it is true. Nothing could me more true than that little saying. So, live by it. Anyway, if and when the market does recover - and I expect it to and don't ask me why because I do not know. It is just a feeling I have. Don't forget. There was a sea change that occurred during the Bush years. Speaking of Bush. This is why I pay so much attention to American politics if you are interested in knowing. Because whatever these guys do, be it their wars or their interest rate policies or their spending, or their whatever, it affects the markets here in Canada and around the world. I mean, isn't the world wide financial crisis just one great example of that? Anyway, things have changed. We are in a new ballgame, a new dimension if you will. We are living with huge debts and deficits down south and we continue to live with war and with a middle class that is continually being squeezed; they cannot continue to be the world's preeminent consumers because they have lost the ability to borrow and take on ever increasing amounts of debt. Also, don't forget that this group lost a great deal during this financial crisis. And, I am not just talking about the financial considerations, but the political and social as well. To make it sensible for you, you have to look at the big picture to try and get some idea where this stock market is going. There are just so many things to consider. And, since none of us will ever become an expert at understanding the whole thing in its entirety at any given time then that is the reason why none of us can time the market or even make a stable prediction or predictions that will endure over time. That is just the nature of the beast friends and that is what I live with like so many others. So, thanks for reading and have a nice day. See you at the track if you are coming.

.

Chatting with Max Keiser

.

Another Banking treat for you on Brasscheck TV

.

Right Here

.

.