Thursday, October 15, 2009

McDonald's: where couriers are treated like gods....

.
.
.
.
Good Morning Friends,
.
.
today is Thursday October 15, 2009
.
.
Friends, you couldn't have a better player on your team than the folks at McDonald's. These people understand couriers and what they are all about. Why some of us are even treated like gods. Take yesterday morning for example. I was out in Surrey and I nipped into a McDonald's to get a coffee and a muffin. Total cost: $1.39 and $1.46 on the road. I usually get a carrot muffin and a coffee with a single cream and no sugar. I also check the goods when I am paying to make sure the coffee is nice and hot and that nobody accidentally put sugar in it. I tell the girls ( usually it is girls working in drive thru, but not always ) that I am just making sure that everything is OK. They are understanding of course. And, by the way, you can have your own mug and they will fill it up as well so you would be getting something more than just a small coffee. Plus, sometimes they give you a large cup anyway and say that they do not have any small cups. Maybe it is just promo or maybe they ran out. Who knows or cares. Anyhow, here I am checking out the goods before driving off. So, I say to the young girl. " I just have to check this coffee to make sure it is hot and everything. " " I understand " she says. I twisted the lid off and took a sip. I looked at her directly and stated: " This is not perfect ". " Are you sure? " she asks her expression looking bewildered. " Well, no I am just kidding, it is OK. " " She smiled and said. " I knew you were, would like a paper? " And, I said. " Sure ". So, she handed me a fresh Province paper, totally unread and in perfect shape. I would be getting my very own newspaper to keep and to drive away with. I felt all warm and fuzzy inside. I had scored again. I thanked the young girl and drove off with my prizes. Actually, this is not the first free paper that I have received at McDonald's. There was another incident some months ago at another drive thru in Delta. It was in the later afternoon and the girl just asked me if I wanted a free newspaper and I said OK. So, I was really thrilled at that time as well. Now, just think about all this for a moment friends. For $1.39 you are getting a coffee, a muffin, and a newspaper. If you have been through the fast lube joints this is the kind of service you might receive. You would get a coffee and a newspaper to read while you are waiting in line. But, rest assured also that you would be paying through the nose for the privilege of receiving these two items. But, not at McDonald's. This is pure bonus at its best. McDonald's is making my day and treating me like a god. Now, it doesn't get any better than that let me assure you. These people know how to treat you right.
.
It was quite rainy yesterday at times. But, it was also sunny at times too so it was not a complete write off. I remember I made it out to Abbotsford at the end of the day and I drove home in heavy rain. Memories of the rainy season of course. It was not a bad day overall business wise and there seems to be a bit more money around and it is certainly not as slow as it was during the summer months.
.
On a more solemn note I have to show you a picture of this little dead mouse. He didn't make it past yesterday and in fact, yesterday was his last breathing day. Just think about it. 154,000 human beings died yesterday and so did this mouse. How many other animals and insects and the like died yesterday? An amazing amount no doubt. Anyway, this tiny creature died on the pavement in the alley behind a McDonald's in downtown Vancouver. It is the Alberni lane just west of Thurlow Street. People were respecting this dead little creature and no car was willing to run over him and desecrate him. There were no vultures around either. He remains in peace and respected for the moment. The death of the creature reminded of the incident that occurred in this lane last December. It happened on the other side of Thurlow Street, but it is the same lane. You may recall my post concerning the girl who was hit by a car in this very lane. ( see Christmas post last year on the main part of my blog ) It was icy and cold and the girl lay there shivering and twisting on the street. There is something unusually cruel about this lane I suppose and I am certainly cognizant of its effects on the human psyche.
.



.
Well, back to work in a few hours and we shall see what the future will bring. Just a reminder to my friends and acquaintances that there is still no racing at the Meadowlands, so if you are popping into town and want to do something you know how to get hold of me. That is all for now, talk to you all later.
.
.