Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Long live the mighty Fraser River....

..
.
.
.
..
Good Morning Friends,
.
.
today is Wednesday October 14, 2009
.
.
.
.
.
.
It was a cloudy day at work yesterday and it was threatening to rain. Well, it did rain in spots actually, but it was not all that bad. It was mostly just cloudy, and cool. You could just feel that summer was finally over and that the rains would be coming in full speed ahead. In fact, that is the weather forecast.
.
I was looking through my old posts and pictures and thought I would show you this one again. The picture at the top of the page. This was taken this Spring and it is a picture of the Alex Fraser Bridge on the Fraser River. I am driving east along River Road in Delta. The bridge was built in the year 1986 I think, so don't quote me on that. I remember when I was starting out in the courier business in 1987 and one of my dispatchers used to say that it is the bridge that went nowhere. Well, it does go somewhere and performs a pretty useful function now. People living in Surrey, Delta, and White Rock rely on this bridge for their commuter needs. It is always quite busy and really quite horrible usually around the rush hour time; it is bumber to bumper and crawling traffic. This bridge seems to get more than its share of rear enders and stalls on the bridge.
.
I also wanted to draw your attention to the pleasant looking scene of the Fraser River itself. This is a very important river really to us B.C.ers actually because it goes all the way the middle of B. C. and it starts near the Rocky Mountains way up north. To me it is the life blood of this province. And, when there are no fish in there it feels like there is something wrong with the health of this region. Fish means life. Period. I remember I was sitting in one of my classes at Simon Fraser University in the late sixties and we were having a discussion. A fellow student made a useful comment which I never forgot. He philosophized that this river is a metaphor for what British Columbia is all about; it represents life for us. I never forgot that and it forms part of my psyche now. This is still a pretty famous salmon river except you would never know it right now. The fish counts returning to the river are devastatingly low. That means that there is no commercial fishing on the river at this time. In past years, you could drive along this stretch of road on a beautiful sunny summer day and it would be just loaded with gillnetters with their nets cast out from the back of their boats all gently rolling down the stream in the calm waters. The salmon going up river would be caught in the nets of course. I don't know if this business is coming to an end or not, but all I can tell you is that when I was travelling down this road during fishing season that there were no gillnetters in the river. Who knows what will become of this industry. Only the fish gods know for sure I suppose.
.
Talk to you all later and have a nice day!
.
.