Saturday, September 5, 2009

Some thoughts on objects of desire....



.



Good Morning Friends,
.
.
today is Saturday September 5, 2009
.
.
Good morning friends. Well, I guess summer is almost over, everything but the shouting that is. The PNE is still on and will end on Labour Day which is Monday. I guess I will not make it this year. Oh well, maybe next year, if I am still alive that is. Remember, life is a tenuous thing and one does not know if there will be a tomorrow or the day after. I think that is one of the big lessons in life friends. So, just enjoy what you have because one day it will all be over.
.
Above is a picture of my new unit. Well, it used to be new. The photo was taken in January of 2008 and the pride of new ownership was in full swing. I remember I picked up the car on December 11 of 2007. I remember how excited I was picking her up. It was a cold and rainy night and it could very easily have snowed as well. In fact, I recall that there were some very sleety days in that period. This was a huge thrill for me buying this car and it looked so pretty sitting in the show room. I think what really sold me on the car was the beautiful blue and how awesome it looked just sitting there with the top down. I had never owned a sports car before so the whole thing was just so thrilling. I suppose in all honesty that the thrill has worn off a bit. But, I do try to keep the feeling going by not driving the unit too much. I just drive it mostly on sunny days and on my days off so that keeps the whole experience going more or less. But, I think the big lesson here friends is that you are dealing with a material object and not a real human being. Like a human, this car is an object of desire. I think that is what it is actually. Just something to desire and to feel good about. If you check my blog you will find this thought somewhere. If I did not delete it that is. Anyhow, just in case I did here is the thought again. A human being that you like and a car that you own are really just objects of desire. But, there has to be a difference now then doesn't there? If you are talking about real love that is. A human being is not a car or a simple object of desire. Although a human being really can just be an object of desire - something that satisfies your physical and emotional needs. One has to believe that there is a difference between a car and a human though. I guess the difference would be on the emotional and psychological side. A car or other material object is just an ego booster. But, to be attracted to someone of the opposite sex is something else. You may indeed desire them in the physical sense however. There is nothing wrong with that at all because it is the simple attractiveness of sex. That is what we humans do. We desire one another. And, sometimes these desires are fulfilled and sometimes they are not. I think you can discard a car more quickly than a human being, when it falls out of favour I mean. You simply sell it and buy something that will continue to boost your ego. You buy something new and shiny and pretty. But, you cannot just replace a human being that way. Well, maybe some can. They just get tired of someone and then they find someone else - someone else to desire. But, a real attraction does not work like that. Something long lasting I mean. There has to be some component or feature of the person that you like that makes the love keep on going. And, I think that would have to be some attribute or characteristic of the person in question. The person becomes more than just a car or physical object of desire. But, I don't think we really get away from this business of desire and want and need though. The person who you are attracted to must keep on supplying something that you want. They have some quality that is long lasting for you. They transcend the material need and become purveyors of something that makes you happy and keep on desiring them. Some other philosophers and thinkers are saying the same thing as I am relating to you now dear friends. And, that is, that a long term attraction to someone might indicate that you might have found the person who is just like you. You have to be compatible do you not? And, maybe that is the knot that ties you together. You are sort of the same kind of people. I don't think a physical car can do that to you. Be like you I mean. But a human can. So, if the person who you like makes you feel good then I think you have really found something worth keeping, and maybe forever. Hope this helps.
.
There is no more Meadowlands right now friends so that means no racetrack for a while. But, I still have lots of things to do over at the house so that should keep me busy more or less. Talk to you all later.