Monday, June 15, 2009

Run away as fast as you can....

.
.
.
.
.
Good Morning Friends,
.
.
today is Monday June 15, 2009
.
.
You know, I am just wondering if it is not just plain old vanity that makes man think he can unlock the mysteries of the universe. It really is quite a stretch actually, thinking that man can figure things out; that he can discover the origins of the universe, the meaning of life, and whether God exists and the like.
.
But, it is what man does because he is man. Vain man does things related to vanity. It is just part of his makeup or his human condition I suppose. Like here I am doing all of this reading in philosophy and trying to figure out the meaning of life and whether God exists or not. Can you imagine that? Me thinking that if I uncover enough stones that I am going to stumble upon the meaning of life, or Heaven forbid, discover the Man Himself, and perhaps even have a conversation with Him.
.
But, you know what dear friends? I may possess vanity, but I am not as vain as the next guy let me tell you. And, I guess that is what my little message is about this morning. I am willing to admit my faults and my weaknesses. Sure, I have an interest in these great questions of humanity, but I am still a realist and my ego is not stretched to the limits like some of my human counterparts. And, you know what I am talking about dear reader. I am talking about the religious zealot and those claiming to ' know ' God. This is the guy who thinks he knows all of the answers to the big questions and to top things off he even talks to God Himself!
.
And, you think I have problems. Well, let me tell you dear friends I am far and away above these religious zealots let me tell you. I don't know where these guys get off thinking that a God exists and that He does this and He does that. Who says so anyway? I have never personally bumped into the Entity and I don't think any of you guys have either. I consider myself to be a pretty decent person and someone that God would most likely want to talk to. He would want to discuss things with me because we would have the same kinds of interests, I feel. So, if anybody should know God or even be His friend it should be someone like me. But, as I am reporting to you this day, God is not my friend, or even my acquaintance.
.
I am telling all of you right now that the Man has not visited me in any way, shape or form whatsoever. So, I guess my point is that if anyone is telling you that they have conversed with the Supreme Being then they are most likely lying. If I have spent all of this time trying to figure things out and I cannot, then what makes the guy next to me think he is better than me and that he has figured things out and that he has even talked to God?
.
Friends, run away from this person who claims to talk to God. And, run away with all of your might - as fast as your little feet can carry you. Do not expose yourself to these people with egos that have allowed them to think that they are better than you or I and who claim to be in direct contact with the Creator Himself. These Believers and God adherents are not better than you or I. If anything they are considerably less than you or I and that is the way I see things this morning dear friends so thanks for reading and I hope you understand where I am coming from.
.
I am not quite ready to move on to the next part of my life on the main part of my blog yet. The things I am going to be talking about next are my university years from 1968 to 1973, and also my early carnival experiences which were occurring at the same time. ....Did a little reading over the weekend on St. Augustine and particularly his 'Confessions. ' Now, this is the guy who became a Catholic leader after having lived a pretty free life - you know a life just like the rest of us as a sinner. But, he became a real hero and philosopher for the Catholics and he is greatly admired for his writing and his thoughts. The reason that I was interested in his life is because he is the first big figure in history ( circa 400 AD ) to have a diary of his life so to speak. You might be interested in this lecture series. It is an audio file:
.
.
He let it all out for all of humanity to see and that is why I am interested in the man. That is what I am doing on the main part of my blog, namely detailing my life for you. Now, the thing is I don't really have to get as personal as St. Augustine in the sexual details, so let us just say that he did quite a few things that I would have done, so I guess I will let him take the heat for that part of my life. So, let's all give a great big hand to St. Augustine for covering this male human ground for us.
.
Anyway, here is the song of the day for you and we are still focusing on 1968, but hopefully we will be able to move on soon. Not one of my favourites, but I remember listening to it all of the time:
.
The Troggs - Love Is All Around
.
1968
.









.
.