Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Harness Racing in Heaven....

.
.



.

Good Morning Friends,

.

today is Tuesday November 10, 2009

.

Today is day four of my five days off. The extra day is because of Remembrance Day of course. So, you are probably wondering just what it is that I am accomplishing during my current R&R stint. Well, if you really need to know I am spending most of my time on my computer like I normally do. I sure hope they have one of these machines in Heaven because if they do not then I will just have to create one. I mean, isn't that what they do in Heaven anyway, create things? So, I guess I would just be part of the crowd if I did that. I would be fitting right in so to speak. We all make jokes about God and Heaven of course because it is fun to do so. I mean, even the religious among us do that kind of thing. But, they do if for different reasons than us atheists of course. They are thinking that Heaven does really exist and they are just fantasizing on their future stay there and being with God. Now, I make jokes all of the time about God and Heaven. And, I do it because I am pretty sure that God and Heaven do not exist. There is no proof either way of course and that is just one the things that makes life interesting for all of us.

.

But, you know, I think there is another reason for making fun of Heaven as well, whether you are religious or not. We all want to fantasize and all of us want to live forever. And, we all want to live forever because we love life so much and that is why we make fun of Heaven and engage in the occasional religious joke. But, I think that is the key friends. We really don't know about things that maybe we are not supposed to know about. Now, I am not suggesting that there is some grand conspiracy working against all of us humans, but then again, maybe there is. If there is a God and if He is Omnipotent, etc then He could have designed something that was not meant to be figured out. Maybe that is the way He keeps the human being guessing. I mean, would you really want to know everything there is to know about God and the universe? Remember what the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer said about man and his never satisfied nature? I think we all strive for this kind of knowledge in a way, but do you remember the old saying: Be careful about you wish for because you just might get it. I don't think the philosophers worry about this aspect of things when they are theorizing or putting their ideas together. They are just trying to understand reality and things beyond reality in the best way that they can by using their intellects to figure things out.

.

But, getting back to the idea of why we joke about Heaven and God and the like I think it might just be based on fear, fear of death that is. I think our society is quite fearful of death actually and that is why we create things like gods anyway. I don't think you can deny that and if you do well I think you are living in a fantasy world. Remember as well that we all have imaginations and all of us use it all of the time. All of our god creations are just like us, possessed of human characteristics and desires, etc; products of our mind. We cannot imagine anything else except the things that we experience in our daily lives and that is why the religious among us worship deities who are exactly the same as humans. Maybe some of you have read the book by Ludwig Feuerbach called The Essence of Christianity written in 1841. This is a really great philosophical piece of work let me tell you and when I stumbled upon it some time ago, why I thought I was in Heaven. So I suggest you read this book and find out what the arguments are against God according to one philosopher. In fact, this man turned the whole world around with his thinking. He influenced men like Karl Marx and all of the other materialists and atheists who followed him. Mr. Feuerbach is just saying that God is a creation of our mind and that is all He is. So, I suggest you read this book if you want another perspective on Christianity and the nature of religion.

.

There is so much more to this religion business I just know there is. Anyhow, the picture at the top of the page is one of harness racing. It is at the Meadowlands Racetrack in New Jersey. Harness racing is my pastime when racing season is on. The season lasts from sometime in December and continues on into the following year and ends in August. This is my favourite leisure activity next to learning things on the internet or just driving my car around and listening to music. These are the three big things in my life, plus the other one of course which everybody knows about by now. Anyhow, since we are on the topic of God and making jokes and that kind of thing I thought I would tell you a little joke that I made at the race track. I was just kidding around with one of the girls that works there, you know a ticket seller, and I just asked her: I asked her if she thought they had racetracks up in Heaven. And, she said: " I am sure that they have several of them. "

.

Thanks for reading friends and have a nice day!

.