Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Enjoying the puddles and the rain....


.
.





.

Good Morning Friends,


.
today is Wednesday November 25, 2009

.

.





.

Finally back to work friends after my traditional four days off. I didn't actually get much done during these four days, but I am certainly feeling better that is for sure. Got out yesterday and did that administrative task that I told you about and also got some shopping done as well. And, that was the extent of my accomplishments such as they are.

.

I am showing you this picture above because this is the place where I grew up as a child. This is the village of Steveston which is located south of Vancouver in the Municipality of Richmond. It is a small fishing community, except I don't think they are doing much fishing anymore because there doesn't seem to be any more salmon around. But, that is another story of course.

.

I want to portray to you the calmness of this scene. My youth was a pleasurable one actually, my very early youth, that is. I was a child who learned about freedom at a very early age, and it is something that I never forgot or stopped liking. I was free to go fishing down at the docks every day or just explore the tidal marshlands and the fields that surrounded me. I was part of nature and I really enjoyed it. So, this is where my appreciation for nature comes from as well as my liking for peace and harmony.

.

But, you know what I was thinking about today? I was thinking about the times when I walked along the dykes in a gentle rain and watched the ducks swimming in the big ditches which adjoined them and of the rafts that I encountered in the ditches as well. Some other kid would get to explore these ditches via a raft and I thought that was a very neat thing. You could be even closer to nature if you could get on that raft and move yourself about in the ditch by pushing a pole. I got to do that sometimes too. When I got older that is. So, at the very earliest of ages friends I was I was in love with nature and the animals and birds that were part of it. This is where and how I learned to love life.

.

I was also thinking about puddles today too. You know, puddles that you encountered in the rain in the middle of the road while you are walking, those kinds of puddles. Now, these bodies of water make me think of gentle things. And, they also make me feel about how lucky that I am to be alive and to just think about these puddles that make me feel good. So, isn't it truly amazing how wonderful a puddle can be if it can make you think of those kinds of things?

.

I guess the real reason that I am bringing all of these things to your attention is because I actually feel good about the stock market at this particular moment in time. And, that is after reading a rather devastating assessment of the market just yesterday. And, you can read that article by going to yesterday's post in the Dear Courier Diary section of my blog. It is not a pretty picture at all let me tell you. But, even after I read that article I shifted some of my assets into stocks. I bought some Emerging Market stocks and I also bought Canadian stocks as well. And, I did not feel like I was taking on any great risk at all. I suppose that is because I have enough protection in my portfolio to protect me if things actually do turn south in a hurry. But, for the moment I feel good about my decision. Just like I feel good about that puddle that I am telling you about above. I am thinking of the soft rains that are splattering about on the road and making that puddle in the first place. And, then I am thinking about my well being because the stocks for me are supplying that sense of well being, in spite of the fact that they could turn against me at any time and cause me to feel poorly about everything. But, for the moment they do not have that capacity. I think the reason they do not have that capacity is because there are forces working to keep things going in my direction. Now, you can call these things will or you can just call them conditions. But, I just like to think of them as things that are causing conditions to be as they are. And, what if these conditions were to move against me, then what would I do? You could think of it as wearing a raincoat in the pouring rain if you like if that would make you feel any better about the matter. For that is what I would be thinking anyway. So, let it rain and let it pour if it must. If you have your raincoat on and are enjoying the weather what does it matter anyway?.

.

Talk to you all later.


.