Friday, February 26, 2010

Wrapping up the week, in deed and thought....


.
.


.
Good Morning Friends,
.
.
today is Friday February 26, 2010
.
.
.
Well, today is Friday and tomorrow is Saturday. That means that tomorrow is a racing day if nothing else. It is hard to get seriously excited though because it looks like snow in New York. If you are holding an Olympics bash like here in Vancouver then snow is fine, but if you are counting on some good racing conditions then snow is not such a good thing. I was just reading over at Bloomberg that the snow might last til Saturday morning. When I finish this post I am going to go back to Bloomberg and watch the video talking about this snow. Here is the hourly update for the New Jersey snow conditions. This is where the racetrack is if you do not know what I am talking about. New Jersey weather, by the hour So, I certainly do not know what tomorrow will bring. This morning I have a delivery right by the racetrack where I do my simulcast betting so I can pick up a racing form for New Jersey while I am there. I suppose I should also buy one for Woodbine too just in case New Jersey gets too much snow for a decent track. Remember, in harness racing the fast track is the best track for me.
.
Things were a little better at work yesterday and I am expecting a decent day today as well. It is the end of the month after all and there is always that month end cleanup going on with our customers. The lawyers, for example, always seem to be a little busier at the end of the month. We are not getting much of the April tax season anymore as things have become quite a bit more electronic if you know what I mean. So, the most that you can expect from this part of the business is the transactions that occur between our customers and their accountants before the actual filing date occurs. I am talking about picking up boxes with important papers in them and that kind of thing.
.
Well, the Olympics is winding down and I suspect that it was a pretty successful event overall. It felt a little nippier weather wise yesterday and maybe the mountains got a little bit more snow. I am sure Whistler has enough anyway. So, this event is quickly coming to a close and I hope everybody enjoyed themselves. For me, all I got out of it was a bit of excitement when I drove downtown into the core and witnessed all of the happy participants.
.
The stock market keeps chugging along, going up and down actually, and there is more talk of recession and a jobless recovery. And, then we have the debt problems in Greece and elsewhere too. So, what else is new? This was/is a really serious financial crisis you know and I think everyone is coming to realize that. The bankers do not really want to give up their lucrative derivative positions and you will see the struggle continue on in this area. Sure, Obama will bash the banks in public, but don't forget these are the people who contributed to his campaign as well. Not only that, he has some financial people right inside of his cabinet so the people had better be on their toes and pay attention to the details if they want to try and secure their futures. They are still having these Senate hearings and Bernanke is giving testimony, but the devil will be in the details. I just do not hold much hope for the people and the country. If I was a U.S. citizen I would be angry as hell. There is too much debt and senseless war and there is too much special interest - of all kinds. The little guy is really in a bad place. I don't know what is going to happen and I do not know how the system can succeed under present conditions. The country is going to hell in a hand basket if you want my opinion on the matter. No wonder there are so many conspiracy theorists out there. You know, guys like me who are frustrated and are looking for alternatives. Alternatives that you are never going to get from the system the way it is currently set up and operated upon. Thems the brute facts folks. See you at the track tomorrow if you are coming. Or, if you are popping into town from out of town then just phone me . This message for my friends and acquaintances only of course. See you all later.
.