Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Post Birthday Blues...


.
.


.
Good Morning Friends,
.
.
today is Tuesday February 9, 2010
.
.
It is actually kind of a bummer you know, living the week after my birthday week, that is. It is like the climax has come and gone. I understand that we cannot have a birthday everyday, but surely there must be something to replace that excitement that we all enjoy on our birthdays. What do you think anyway? I know what I think and I am going to tell you right now what my thoughts are on the issue. It is like living the post birthday blues that is what it is like. The big day has come and gone. Sure, I got my Happy Birthday greetings and all that. But, now what? It is like the hangover to the whole thing. It is just plain dull that is all. Even the sunshine did not help much yesterday either. I got out and about with the unit and was able to enjoy a bit of sunshine as I am reporting to you now. It was quite cool though so I did not lower the top like the previous three days. Not much snow in the mountains either as far as I could tell - only in the higher parts of the mountains. Don't forget the Olympics is moving really close now, Friday is the big day. Now, that is excitement isn't it? I mean, shouldn't I be all pumped up and getting in the action? You would think so now wouldn't you? Well, I am not a big Olympics fan actually. Sure, I like the thrill of the whole thing especially when I am in downtown Vancouver and on the job. But, even that will now be restricted anyway, so where is the excitement even if you wanted to participate? The point dear friends is that man is a rather finicky beast. He is never satisfied. He is always wanting things and seeks happiness and well being. That seems to be his main task in life. He gets something and he wants more and that is just the kind of animal he is. Read the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer and he will tell you about this condition of man. I know first hand how this human creature works so I do not really need Mr. Schopenhauer telling me something that I already know.
.
Anyway, I am just giving one example for you about this feature of man by talking about my post birthday blues. I built myself up for the big event and now it is over. So, what now? Remember when you were a kid and waiting for Christmas and then it came and went? Remember the first day at school and the excitement and then the inevitable loss of interest due to routine and boredom? Remember getting excited about a girl and then she lets you down? I mean what do I do now to provide happiness and meaning in my life? Do I have to work a little harder to find that satisfaction in my life? Why should I even bother and is it worth it? Worth it I mean in the sense of achieving whatever it is that I want to achieve and then landing in the same place all over again after the event has come and gone. See what I mean? Maybe Schopenhauer was right. There is just no pleasing man and his insatiable desires; they are never ending. I think that is why man invented philosophy though, for times like this I mean. With philosophy you get to talk and think about things and examine them in as much or as little detail as you want. Philosophy may not provide any real answers for you, but at least it awakens you to the very essence of your humanity. And, then, once you become an expert in humanity and have a firm grasp on the whole thing, then what? What do you do for an encore?