Friday, February 19, 2010

A relic and a reminder of the past....


.
.

.

Good Morning Friends,

.

today is Friday February 19, 2010

.

Finally it is Friday. Well, it doesn't get any better than that my friends. It is sunny, there is the Olympics, and tomorrow is a racing day for me. So, what else could a guy ask for? Well, if you know my history just one thing. But, we don't want to dwell on that topic now especially under these perfect conditions that we are experiencing. Above is a picture of a gill netter. This relic is located on the corner of 240th Street and Lougheed Highway in Maple Ridge, B. C. I took this photo while on the job yesterday. Just down the street from this location used to be the old Albion Ferry. This is the ferry that ran from this location to Fort Langley on the other side of the Fraser River. It is now no more and it ended serving us last summer when the brand new Golden Ears Bridge was constructed to replace it. Now, the real reason I took this picture was to highlight a post I did on the main part of my blog. It is a post about my teenage years when I took a trip up the northern B.C. coast during the summer of 1964. You can read about this post and the effect it had on my life right here: My Teenage Years: 1964

.

Just one further reminder how beautiful the weather is here right now. It is fantastic actually. I don't know how they are running this Olympics so successfully with what seems like hardly any snow at all. I guess they have tons of the stuff up at Whistler because nobody is talking about that. Here on the local mountains the situation must be quite problematic for the organizers. Anyway, this feature of the Olympics matters not to the locals. Everybody around here is really into these Games let me tell you. You'd think we were having a war or something. Seems like everybody has Canadian flags hoisted up on their vehicles and they are certainly displaying them proudly let me tell you. Why, I was in Vancouver yesterday in the early afternoon and heading north on Oak Street. Wow, you could feel the excitement and the pride of the drivers. It was just in the air. The sky was brilliant, the mountains to the north were just pure majesty and every Vancouverite was a proud Canadian. I could certainly feel the magic. It was awesome.

.

Just one final note. Tomorrow is a racing day at the Meadowlands in New Jersey once again. I sure hope all of the snow problems are over and that the track is fast. If this is not the case then conditions will not be perfect. You can link up to my webcams and check out the hourly weather conditions in New Jersey if you like. So, we will certainly be praying to the racing gods for some favourable conditions. You can count on that. Don't forget friends and acquaintances: See you there if you are coming and if you need a ride just contact me. Talk to you all later and have a nice day.

.