Friday, May 29, 2009

Don't get mad...get even

.
.

.
Good Morning Friends,
.
.
today is Friday May 29, 2009
.
.
Last day at work dear friends and then time to relax again. It was really a beautiful day here in Vancouver yesterday, warm and sunny - gorgeous actually. Tomorrow is a racing day once again, and hopefully, we can get even and win our money back that we lost last weekend.
.
Now, if you examine my title this morning you will realize that it has other applications as well, more negative ones. Getting even is a very big deal for some people as you are probably aware. I once knew a person, not mentioning any names of course, who lived by this saying. I consider this person to be a loser though for believing in the idea of getting even. Why a loser you might enquire? Well, being a loser because getting even is really just an act of revenge, you know, something the Christians believe in - an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth and that kind of thing. Well, since I am not a Christian and not someone who believes in getting even for the sake of getting even then you will realize that I do not subscribe to this motto as an act of faith. When I was younger I might have thought that getting even was the thing to do of course. But, now that I am older and wiser I can assure that this is a very bad prescription to follow. Nothwithstanding the fact that our civil and criminal law is basically based on this creedo, I can tell you forthrightly that I believe it to be bad policy and bad philosophy as well. You simply do not gain anything by getting even with someone. And, if gain is your goal then do not practice the methodology of getting even. Being compensated for a loss is not the same thing as getting even by the way. Retribution is, so I think you should recognize the difference.
.
So, what the hell has all of this got to do with horse racing anyway? Well, actually quite a bit upon closer inspection. Like I said above, you do not gain by trying to get even for the sake of getting even. Now, you may want to get your losses back, but that does not imply some sort of punishment against those who stole or took your money from you. Horse racing does not involve any kind of punishment against anybody. There is nobody to get even with anyway, so don't even try to do it. Friends, all I am saying is that I would like to recover my losses, either now or later. And, the only way to accomplish that is by getting even. But, we are not going to get even by punishing anyone or causing harm in any way. We are simply going to continue to employ our system and rely on the racing gods to do their part. We are going to accept the fate that they dole out upon us; that is all that we can do and that is what is meant by getting even in this context. So, I hope that I have made myself perfectly clear on this issue.
.
So, don't be afraid to pop into the track if you are popping into town. See you there if you are coming. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.
.
Here is the song of the day for you. It is some wise words from Andy Williams and it is about fools and it is his philosophy about girls and love. It is from 1964 and that is the year that we are looking at in the main part of my blog too - my teenage years.
.
Andy Williams - A Fool Never Learns
.
1964


.
.
.
.