Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 18, 2009

.
.
Good Morning Friends,
.
.
Today is Saturday April 18, 2009
.
.
.
.
Here are a few photos that I took on the job yesterday.
.
.
The day started out rather drearily actually and here are a couple of scenes in the North Surrey area.
.
.
The photo above is Surrey looking north towards the Fraser River.
.
.

.

.
Below are some snaps of my trip back to Vancouver. I am just about to get on to the Port Mann Bridge.
.
N.B. When you open up the
.
.
page above you will be able to see two cams of this bridge with live
traffic updates.












I took these shots while driving over the Port Mann Bridge. Most of the time it is slow going over this bridge because of the volume of traffic. That is why I was able to take the shots, even then it is quite dangerous to do this kind of thing of course. The body of water is the Mighty Fraser River.


































The scened below is in Burnaby, a municipality that you pass through on the way to Vancouver. This is an intersection right by Burnaby City Hall on Canada Way.









Below are some scenes in downtown Vancouver. I am on my way home and back to Surrey now.












This is the new Convention Centre still under construction.







































This is Canada Place just to the east of the new building















I am driving through Gastown now.
























This is the Police Department on Main Street.
I like police departments. It is that feeling of
security I guess.




.

This is Kingsway and Joyce in Vancouver looking towards the east.




.

This is in Burnaby heading east on Kingsway.



.

Still Burnaby and still Kingsway.



.
Another McDonald's of course - and still on Kingsway.




.
Back in Whalley now. See pic below.
The buildings in front of us are not finished.
They had to stop building them because of the current financial crisis. Apparently the financing for these buildings was being supplied by Lehman Brothers - a victim of the financial disaster. So, we really are a small world after all.






.
Have a nice day and see you guys at the track today if you are going that is. I do my betting at the Fraser Downs Racetrack which is in downtown Cloverdale, but I mostly just play the Meadowlands Racetrack in New Jersey via simulcast betting. You can check out the links to these places over on the sidebar to the right and towards the top of the page.
.
Post Script: I was actually positioned with my camera to take a picture of the tallest building in the City of Vancouver. It is a new 50's something stories building called ' Shangri La '. It is located on the 1100 block of West Georgia Street. It is an impressive structure looking something like an obelisk on steroids jutting forcefully into the skies. I remember when they were constructing the building and I had to pick up a delivery from the construction office at the excavation site. There was a massive hole in the ground with workmen toiling away far below. That was really scary let me tell you. To get to the office I had to walk along a plank which ran parallel to a drop off of about 200 feet or something. It was really creepy and scary. I thought I was going to die of fright. I don't know how these construction guys handle these heights but they do. I remember there were a couple of bosses leaning over the rail casually and examining the activity below. How the hell can they do that I pondered? Anyway, I had just made a delivery in the building next door and decided to take a snap of the building since I was right there. I was getting positioned to take a picture when I heard a woman screaming violently. She was raging mad and yelling at a couple of men on the doorstep of the building next to the Shangri La. I decided not to take a snap since I figured the woman would most likely attack me or direct her verbal anger at me for invading her privacy. It was not worth the risk I thought. Why would I want to be screamed at on West Georgia Street on a beautiful Friday afternoon? Don't I have better things to do? You bet I do and I left the area for more peaceful surroundings.
.




.
.